Wednesday 31 October 2012

A Boat a Day (no.93)

Happy Halloween! The boat for today is my pumpkin. A dinky thing I got for my birthday. It was so much easier to carve than the bigger ones even though I couldn't do too much detail.
I have found pumpkin carving much easier the last few years, I think I have a pretty good technique. Draw the picture onto paper, the size you want it, shading the bits to be cut out completely. Tape it to your pumpkin once the insides have been removed and begin imprinting your design with small holes using your template to guide you. I invented an ingenious way of making small, more precise holes by taping a nail to my finger. I used a piece of card to protect my skin from the pressure and began dotting away.
I warn you...it takes forever! Once you've got your dots remove the template and starts peeling the skin away in layers, using your dots for guides. My favourite tool for this is a small flat headed screw driver, I guess a chisel would work too, you can cut and scrape and push it all the way through when needed. Anyway, that's my haphazard way of carving pumpkin's!

No comments:

Post a Comment